Sunday, November 9, 2014

holy succulents!

A couple months ago while 'antiquing' with Eric and his parents, I came across what reminded me of the little tins that hold holy water in church.

I loved the bronze finish and knew I could find a place for them. And Eric's dad was nice enough to buy them for me!

I thought about filling them with pebbles and a tea light in each, but then I found the sweetest little succulents at Home Depot and....

Tarva: Round 2

After a successful (imo) hack of the 3-drawer Ikea Tarva chest, I set out to spruce up my 6-drawer Ikea Tarva chest. I wanted the two pieces to match, but at the same time I didn't want an overwhelming amount of wood finish in my small, neutral tone bedroom. Confession: I also did not want to go through the whole pre-stain+stain+gel stain+polyurethane process again

My solution: Paint

We did everything the same, from framing the drawer fronts, to using a satin polyurethane finish, and adding matching hardware. But, rather than stain the wood, we painted it a rich navy blue. Oh, and we chopped off 2 inches from the awkwardly-long legs.

I couldn't be happier with the results!

It ties in well with the existing 3-drawer chest, and adds a pop of color to the room that isn't overwhelming.

Paint color: Old Navy by Benjamin Moore (we used flat paint)
Polyurethane: Varathane - Satin Finish
Hardware: WorldMarket

Ikea tarva makeover ikea tarva hack benjamin moore old navy mercury glass knobs hardware painted furniture navy blue dresser bedroom